Sun Signs in Vedic Astrology Vedic or Hindu Astrology, also called as Jyotish, is one of the six auxiliary limbs in Vedic culture used to evaluate and prepare a calendar or panchang and highlight auspicious and inauspicious occasions. Sun, one of the navagrahas in the universe, holds of a great significance and represents life and soul. What is My Vedic Sun Sign? Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu: these are the Nine Planets used in Vedic Astrology. In the Brihat Parashara Hora Sastra (the oldest written work on Vedic Astrology) the Planets are described as living entities with their own consciousness and personalities, they are incarnations of Gods and Goddesses. Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu: these are the Nine Planets used in Vedic Astrology. In the Brihat Parashara Hora Sastra (the oldest written work on Vedic Astrology) the Planets are described as living entities with their own consciousness and personalities, they are incarnations of Gods and Goddesses. Vedic sun sign astrology is an ancient art that explains the human person’s complexity through the dominant star placements when they were born. However, unlike the Western tradition that everyone is aware of, Vedic astrology concerns itself with accurate.
Ganesh, the God with the elephant’s head, is also the God of astrology. Western astrologers use sky maps in circular forms, whereas Vedic astrologers use square shaped cards.
Vedic astrologers divide the 360 degrees of the zodiac into 27 lunar bases. As a rule of thumb, Vedic astrology focuses on the positions of the moon and the ascendants, rather than the sun.
Find your planet using your date of birth!
Vedic astrology is based on 9 planets, whereas Indian numerology considers that the meaning of a number between 1 and 9 is linked to an associated planet.
Vedic Astrology Sun Sign Gemini
For example, if you were born on the…
- 1st, 10th, 19th or 28th (2 + 8 = 10 therefore 1 + 0 = 1) Your number is 1, and 1 is linked to Surya (the sun) Gender: Male, Stone: Ruby.
- 2nd, 11th, 20th or 29th – Your number is 2 and is therefore linked to Chandra; the moon. Gender: Female, stone: Pearl.
- 3rd, 12th, 21st or 30th – Your number is 3 and your planet is Guru (Jupiter). Gender: Male, stone: Sapphire.
- 4th, 13th, 22nd or 31st – Number 4 links you to Rahu (the north node) Gender: Female, stone: Cat’s eye stone.
- 5th, 14th or 23rd – Your number is 5; Budha (Mercury) Gender: neutral, stone: Emerald.
- 6th, 15th or 24th – 6 is your number and is linked to Shukra (Venus) Gender: Female, stone: Diamond.
- 7th, 16th or 25th – 7 is your number and therefore links you to Ketu (the south node of the moon) Gender: Neutral, stone: Topaz.
- 8th, 17th or 26th – 8 is your number and Shani (Saturn) is your planet. Gender: Male, stone: Garnet.
- 9th, 18th or 27th – 9 is your number and Mangal (Mars) is your planet. Gender: Male, stone: Red coral.
So, have you found your gemstone and planet?
Because of the difference in the zodiacs between the Western and Vedic system your Sun sign will more than likely change. Vedic atrology uses the sidereal zodiac based on the constellations. Western astrology uses the tropical zodiac based on the seasons of the year.
The twelve signs of the zodiac are ruled by the four elements. In a repeating sequence though the zodiac they are: fire, earth, air and water.
Vedic Birth Sign
Put briefly, Fire initiates, earth consolidates, air communicates and water feels.
Each element is important, and balance comes when all are working in harmony.
In a birth chart all the planets and the rising sign and midheaven are assessed by their element. There is often a focus on two elements.
We can find balance by being in relationships with a person with the elements we lack, or by working with the qualities ouselves.
If we are low in one element we can over-compensate. For example:-
Vedic Astrology Sun Sign Scorpio
- Low in fire can be over dramatic; life always seems like a rollercoaster.
- Low in earth there is a real need for physical security. The person has to own possessions and places high value on them.
- Low in air there is a tendency to talk too much, everything is over analysed and there is a constant mental chatter going on.
- Low in water tends to be over emotional, rather than processing their feelings they are overwhelmed by them.
Vedic Astrology Moon Sign Vs Sun Sign
In Vedic System the signs are also classified by element as the doshas of Dharma, (fire, purpose) Artha (earth, material, money) Kama (air, desire, relationships) and Moksha (water, enlightenment).